The Hare – Final Prototype

I have finally finished my latest version of The Hare! I’m pretty pleased with him.

Left-side view of crocheted hare.

Let me take you through some of the changes I’ve made. First, instead of using an 8 ply acrylic yarn and a 3.0mm hook, I’ve changed to a thinner recycled cotton and a 2.0mm hook. I decided to use cotton yarn because I read somewhere that it holds its shape better than acrylic yarn and, honestly, I just like the idea of working with a recycled product. He has turned out smaller than the previous hare: the old guy was about 33cm/13in tall and this guy is around 25cm/10in tall.

Right-side view of crocheted hare.

Striving for a more realistic look (the pattern is inspired by the European brown hare), I’ve made a few changes to the shape of the hare. The face is sharper and the neck is less defined. The eyes are larger and have a black outline. I lengthened the back legs and tried to lower the profile of the haunches. The shape of the feet have been slightly changed to give him a more alert look, as though he were raised on his toes, and his ears are a little less sharp at the tips.

Front and back view of crocheted hare.

I’ll be making one more hare so I can take photos for the pattern. I’ll need to make a few minor changes–the front legs, torso, and bottom need to be lengthened slightly–but then I’ll be done!

I’m excited to get this pattern finished.

Almost there …

-Kim

Share This Post

New Blog. New Projects.

Hi. I’m Kim and I design crochet toys.

A few years back, I shared my work on Kim Lapsley Crochets. While I was earning my uni degree (I completed it! Yay!!), my hooks got sidelined and the old blog was severely neglected. Now that I’m designing patterns again, I thought a fresh start was in order. So here it is … welcome to SYLKE CRAFTS!

My crochet aesthetic has changed a little. Goofy and cute were my mainstay when I started sharing patterns and, while I still love those characteristics in crochet design, what I’m most interested in at the moment is creating more realistic crochet toys. Capturing movement and expression is what I’m working towards … I know, it’s a pretty lofty goal.

I’m also trying to design patterns with as few joins as possible. This is a huge challenge for me. It’s driving me a little crazy but I think I can pull it off.

I’m aiming high, people! It’s scary but I’m looking forward to sharing the hits and misses with you.

Profile view of crocheted hare in grey yarn.

Back view of crocheted hare in grey yarn.

My current project is The Hare. I’ve been working on him for a few months. The shape of the legs has turned out well. The shape of the head I think could have been sharper.

For the pattern, I’ve decided to go with a different hook size and yarn weight than what I used in the picture above. I’ll keep tinkering and hopefully I’ll have the pattern ready soon.

I’ll keep you posted.

-Kim

Share This Post