It’s finished! The Dragon pattern is now available in my Etsy Store.
I’m nervous. At 54 pages long, it is the biggest pattern I’ve ever written. I’ve spent so much time on it and I am extremely proud of this sleek wyvern. I know it’s a complex pattern but I hope some of you will be up for the challenge.
I am still working on The Dragon pattern! I promise. I had a complicated move and version three of the Dragon ended up in storage for many weeks. She is out of storage and I am ready to get this lady done!
I have one wing, horns, and some other finer details to finish. There have been some changes in this version. I’ve given the wing more bulk where it joins the body. I got rid of the toes. The way I was making them before, crocheting them on to the foot, was a bit complicated and fiddly. I might stitch on some toes later and see how that looks.
I’ve had some queries about a pattern for a micro dragon I made several years ago. I didn’t write a pattern at the time but I’ve decided I will try to recreate the little guy and write-up a pattern after I finish the larger dragon. It’s been a while since I micro-crocheted so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to pull it off … it should be like riding a bike, yes?
Finally, I did have a nice crochet-related surprise during the move. I found these three dudes.
They were adapted from my old Shrunken Head Guy pattern (inspired by Harry the Hunter from Beetlejuice). I don’t remember what I had planned for them but I love them.
Here is version two of The Dragon. I think it’s a huge improvement on version one.
The big changes: I’ve given her a barbed tail, ridges on the back, longer legs, smaller wings, and a sharper face. The main horns are longer, sharper, and slightly curved. I’m much happier with the feet. She sits better on her toes and balances beautifully! The multi-strand steel wire I used for the armature works a treat!
For the third and final version, I want to fill out her behind a little. I think I might also position the wings higher and maybe try to smooth out the transition between the body and the wings. I’m not sure about the smaller horns, either – they are a little flat but that can be fixed by attaching them differently. I’ll experiment.
Side note: I found out that the type of dragon I’m making, one with just a single set of legs, is called a wyvern! It’s a new term for me. I like it.
Version three shouldn’t take as long as version two. I’ll aim to have the pattern ready by late May.
I ran out of yarn and just used what I had at hand and that is why she’s a multi-coloured beast. I’ll be using red for the second version, with yellow/gold contrast for the horns and whiskers.
I ran into a few problems with her wire armature. The craft wire I used for the body, tail, and legs was a little weak and not very poseable under the weight of the crochet and stuffing. I ended up using a cheap multi-strand steel wire I found at the hardware store for the wings. This was much sturdier and I’ll be using that for the entire armature of the next dragon.
There are a few things I’ll need to improve on. The feet are a bit awkward, and I think the legs need to be a bit longer and maybe thicker. Also, I’m not so sure about the horns and eyes. Do I need claws on the top tips of the wings? I might try them out and see how it looks.
So there’s still work to be done but I think this was a good start.
I’ve been working on the dragon for the past few months. I decided to make it with only wings and hind legs—no forelegs—similar to the dragons from Game of Thrones.
This is how far I’ve come.
It’ll definitely need a wire armature. For the first time, I’m going to try stainless steel craft wire. I’ll crochet a separate piece for the lower jaw and crochet around the openings at the top to make horns. I’ll crochet around the openings at the back to make the wings. You might be able to make out the skinny haunches there at the bottom of the torso. I’m predicting they’ll be a little tricky and I’m still not sure how I’m going to crochet the wings. Ah well, we’ll see how it goes.
I had to put the dragon aside while I waited for the stainless steel craft wire to arrive and I thought I’d try my hand at a snail. A Giant African Snail to be exact. It turned out to be more difficult than I expected. This is my second attempt at the shell.
I haven’t quite got the shape right. I’ll come back to it again after the dragon. Eventually, I’d like to work it in colours similar to the real thing.
Okay. Update complete. I hope to have a whole dragon to show you next post.
Share This Post