Dragon v.1

I completed the first version of The Dragon!

Right-side view of crocheted dragon in purple, brown and green.

Close-up on facial details of crocheted dragon.

Crocheted dragon standing on hind legs, wings raised.

I ran out of yarn and just used what I had at hand and that is why she’s a multi-coloured beast. I’ll be using red for the second version, with yellow/gold contrast for the horns and whiskers.

I ran into a few problems with her wire armature. The craft wire I used for the body, tail, and legs was a little weak and not very poseable under the weight of the crochet and stuffing. I ended up using a cheap multi-strand steel wire I found at the hardware store for the wings. This was much sturdier and I’ll be using that for the entire armature of the next dragon.

There are a few things I’ll need to improve on. The feet are a bit awkward, and I think the legs need to be a bit longer and maybe thicker. Also, I’m not so sure about the horns and eyes. Do I need claws on the top tips of the wings? I might try them out and see how it looks.

So there’s still work to be done but I think this was a good start.

-K

Share This Post

Half a Dragon. Half a Snail.

I’ve been working on the dragon for the past few months. I decided to make it with only wings and hind legs—no forelegs—similar to the dragons from Game of Thrones.

This is how far I’ve come.

Right-side showing head and torso of unfinished crocheted dragon.

Close-up of openings left in unfinished crocheted dragon.

It’ll definitely need a wire armature. For the first time, I’m going to try stainless steel craft wire. I’ll crochet a separate piece for the lower jaw and crochet around the openings at the top to make horns. I’ll crochet around the openings at the back to make the wings. You might be able to make out the skinny haunches there at the bottom of the torso. I’m predicting they’ll be a little tricky and I’m still not sure how I’m going to crochet the wings. Ah well, we’ll see how it goes.

I had to put the dragon aside while I waited for the stainless steel craft wire to arrive and I thought I’d try my hand at a snail. A Giant African Snail to be exact. It turned out to be more difficult than I expected. This is my second attempt at the shell.

View of blue crocheted shell from the top.

View of blue crocheted shell from the side.

Bottom view of blue crocheted shell.

I haven’t quite got the shape right. I’ll come back to it again after the dragon. Eventually, I’d like to work it in colours similar to the real thing.

Okay. Update complete. I hope to have a whole dragon to show you next post.

-Kim

Share This Post

The Hare – Final Prototype

I have finally finished my latest version of The Hare! I’m pretty pleased with him.

Left-side view of crocheted hare.

Let me take you through some of the changes I’ve made. First, instead of using an 8 ply acrylic yarn and a 3.0mm hook, I’ve changed to a thinner recycled cotton and a 2.0mm hook. I decided to use cotton yarn because I read somewhere that it holds its shape better than acrylic yarn and, honestly, I just like the idea of working with a recycled product. He has turned out smaller than the previous hare: the old guy was about 33cm/13in tall and this guy is around 25cm/10in tall.

Right-side view of crocheted hare.

Striving for a more realistic look (the pattern is inspired by the European brown hare), I’ve made a few changes to the shape of the hare. The face is sharper and the neck is less defined. The eyes are larger and have a black outline. I lengthened the back legs and tried to lower the profile of the haunches. The shape of the feet have been slightly changed to give him a more alert look, as though he were raised on his toes, and his ears are a little less sharp at the tips.

Front and back view of crocheted hare.

I’ll be making one more hare so I can take photos for the pattern. I’ll need to make a few minor changes–the front legs, torso, and bottom need to be lengthened slightly–but then I’ll be done!

I’m excited to get this pattern finished.

Almost there …

-Kim

Share This Post